Tuesday, July 14, 2009

new work and artist statement

I have made a book to send up to the SCU Artist Book exhibition but have been stalling on writing the artist statement. You might recognise the book as one of my boat shapes with pages, I spent quite a bit of time on the Internet this morning looking at related poems and I joined a great site which has poetry lessons and people give feedback on poems. Then I decided I liked the book wordless, the pages just give it a bit more structure. I decided to call the book Paper Barque because it is a boat made from mulberry bark (kozo). I can see my artist statement forming as I write. I don't mind blogging but I find it quite difficult writing artist statements. I found a couple of good sites with info and suggestions about writing artist's statements so I am trying to take the advice on board. http://www.artbusiness.com/artstate.html
Paper Barque 2009
Here is what I came up with in the end, I still don't like writing artist statements!
Paper in its many forms is a vital part of my practice as an artist. I decided to call this work Paper Barque for the play on words, it is a paper boat made from the bark of the mulberry tree. I feel that the book pages, made from different plant fibre papers with marks made from strips of bamboo add a certain structure to the boat.
Also my postcard from last posting did arrive safely, there were some great icons amongst the postcards, many of them religous but some of them architectural and cultural. Our next challenge is to use collagraph plates to do either a rubbing or embossing, I'm still working on my plate/s.
Below is the final version of Between the Lines.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Have you seen the ArtBiz blog?

http://www.artbizblog.com/writing_
the_artist_statement_
and_communication/

Not sure if that came out as a useable link but it is a collection of advice on artist statements. Though I think you've got yours sorted now - and your boat is beautiful.

Helena Marette said...

I added your name to my list for "One Lovely Blog" award. please view www.helenamarette.blogspot.com

Papergail said...

Thanks very much for the link Carol, I have bookmarked and will go back for more, looks li9ke a very useful site. Thanks also for nominating me Helena, sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you I have been busy teaching workshops etc.

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Carol: Thank you for your recommendation! Gail: I hope you'll visit. Writing the artist statement is incredibly important, but it's a process. I hope my resources on ArtBizBlog.com help in some way.

Papergail said...

Thanks Alyson,
I did visit and have bookmarked your very useful site.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ukubozunah.mindnmagick.com/pocawel.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money