Saturday, March 15, 2008

Classes and Recycling

I have been asked about running a coptic binding class so have scheduled one for Saturday 19th April, if you are interested in attending please email me info@gailstiffe.info, it will start at 10.30 and finish about 4pm. I have pictures of some completed books on my webpage on the workshop page.
Yesterday I was sent some pictures from the two workshops I did down at Portland, Papermaking from plants in December last year and Book binding earlier this month, they were taken by Peggy Schwarz.

The Papermaking.


The Bookbinding


I am considering entering an exhibition called 'Discarded' and thought I'd make a book from materials garnered from the Reverse Art Truck. I just called in on my way home from Mum's yesterday to get some paper since all the materials I've used in the books I've been making lately have come from there. Well, half an hour and $8 later I came out with this haul. More leather, some book board, ribbon, brass corners, curtain fabric, paint samples, paper bags, gaffer tape and a roll of paper.



The place I go to is called Reverse Art Truck and is at 17 Greenwood Avenue, Ringwood. I notice from their website that there is also a branch in Cranbourne.

I had heard that there was one in Geelong and one of the participants in the Portland class tracked it down. Here's what she had to say.
'Whilst in Geelong, I managed to track down the recycling place. It has moved from Newtown to the city, and is called - Diverstat Creative Recycling, at 2 Baylie Place, Geelong. Ph. 52215421. You may be interested to have a look if in Geelong, but I wouldn't advise anyone making a special trip as they didn't have a lot of 'stuff' there when I visited. They did say though that things come in all the time. I should mention that the place is a little difficult to find. Baylie place is a back alley with businesses having their back entrance off it, but there is a little organic
café there, and the recycling business is part of that, so you go into the café to ask about it.'

There is also Reverse Garbage in Sydney where my niece happens to work. They also have a gallery selling articles designed from materials they sell. Here is an article about the gallery from the Sydney Morning Herald.

3 comments:

quirkyartist said...

I live quite near Reverse Garbage and went there a lot when I was at art school. I have made many things from stuff I've picked up there. I also still have stuff around the house waiting for the 'right' project.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Carol said...

I haven't been to Reverse Garbage for a couple of years but you've sparked an intention to visit again. When I was a country preschool teacher in the 70s my father used to go to Reverse Garbage, select a huge barrel full of "stuff", and then it would arrive on the train to be collected by me and the children. Always a great thrill to find the treasures - and we made the most wonderful creations.